Human Interface Devices
I’m a follower of general principle of modifying your devices so much that literally no one except youself will be able to use it.
My one-handed keyboard layouts
Since 2015 I often work with solely left hand on the keyboard, while right hand controls the mouse. This comes handy in hotkey-dominated software like Photoshop or AutoCAD.
There are other known ways to type one-handed, but most of them are:
- Concentrated only on typing letters, ignoring numbers/symbols/F1..F12/etc
- Do not provide convenient way to use Alt/Ctrl/Win modifiers
- Sabotage two-handed typing speed or don’t provide two-handed mode at all
- Using special rare and expensive non-standard keyboards
For this reason I developed my own one-handed layouts to make them free from outlined disadvantages.
This is my current layout, that takes better parts of my previous layouts: at any time layout can work eather in one-handed or in two-handed mode, while basic letter layout is QWERTY, making it very fast to learn.
• 60 wpm one-handed (30 wpm for coding)
• 100 wpm two-handed
This layout is described as full left-handed keyboard with a possibility of adding right hand to aid typing at any moment.
• 70 wpm one-handed (45 wpm for coding)
• 90 wpm two-handed
This was my first fully-functional one-handed layout, that I used for CAD-ing for some time.
Overall it surved its purpose, but it had too many issues to not to look for better layout.
• 45 wpm one-handed
This is probably the first approach everyone tries when looking for one-handed typing options (simply placing your left fingers on FGHJ). I used it for some time, but disadvantages of this layout were beyound imagination.
My custom mechanical keyboards
I designed some custom mechanical keyboards specifically for OPRI layout.
All my keyboards are:
- Coded on Pro Micro controllers with QMK firmware
- Using random keycaps, so don’t put too much attention to keycaps captions
OPRI KB2 (June 2021)
Keyboard is made from plexiglass. Every half is a separate keyboard (halfs do not communicate). I was too lazy to study QMK for proper split wiring, LOL.
Trackball on photo is Logitech MX Ergo.
OPRI KB1 (April 2021)
This is not only just my first crafted keyboard, this is the first «serious» device that I crafted in my life. Keyboard is made of foam board.
I was so happy when it worked..
Topics to be added later
- Android swipe keyboards (MessagEase, 8pen)
- Using Vim in everyday life (not in programming)
- Ways to create budget ergonomic workspace (choosing chair, table, screen position)
- MindMapping software for self-organization